The Norwood NPC-QIC Surgical Coaching project continues to accept applications as formalized visits have begun by visiting surgeons to host centers. We invite congenital heart surgeons who are at programs where the Norwood Procedure is performed and those who are either board eligible or board certified in the subspecialty of congenital heart surgery to apply for participation via the application.
For any congenital heart surgeon, either transitioning in the infancy of one's career to a technically competent surgeon or as a more experienced surgeon desiring the opportunity to learn a new technical approach can be challenging. Our subspecialty is one with much lability in work force. Operations such as stage I palliation for Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome continue to be a benchmark procedure for the transparent study of surgical approach and outcomes. A formalized travelling surgical coaching program would benefit this unique issue.
Study Participants ("Visiting Surgeons")
- Will be required to visit three host sites within a one-year time frame and fund travel (consider institutional CME funds).
- Provide feedback to NPC-QIC on learnings via three brief, formalized surveys as well as direct communication with study coordinators.
- Identify goals and areas of interest prior to visit and consider the creation of an operative video following visit for discussion with host surgeon.
- Cincinnati Children's Hospital and Medical Center
- Children's Medical Center Dallas / University of Texas Southwestern
- Primary Children's Hospital / University of Utah Health
- C.S. Mott Children's Hospital / University of Michigan
- Columbia University Medical Center, New York-Presbyterian