The Executive Council of the Congenital Heart Surgeons' Society met in Fort Lauderdale, Florida on Sunday, January 28, 2018. I would like to share the highlights of that meeting with our members. I want to begin by thanking the members who stepped up to my call for an end of the year donation to the Kirklin-Ashburn fellowship. The total dollar amount of the Kirklin-Ashburn fund is now $505,000! Achieving this milestone will allow us, in a meaningful way, to help support the salary of the Kirklin-Ashburn Fellow in the upcoming years.
One of the highlights of our Executive Council meeting was to see an advance copy of the January 2018 World Journal for Pediatric & Congenital Heart Surgery provided by the editor-in-chief, Marshall L. Jacobs. The "World Journal" now has the logo of the CHSS on its cover page announcing that the World Journal is now the official journal of our Society. Our "sister" organization, the European Congenital Heart Surgeons Association's logo is also on the front cover adjacent to our logo. The idea for this exciting development began at our Executive Council meeting one year ago and I truly believe this is a great step forward for our organization. There will be free digital access to the World Journal for Pediatric & Congenital Heart Surgery for all CHSS members. The CHSS will be provided with an official association page which will be utilized for specific messages to our members and information regarding our upcoming meetings. I encourage all of you to submit your academic work to this outstanding journal.
The post-meeting survey results from our 2017 Annual Meeting were reviewed. The great majority of individuals who filled out the survey rated the educational activity of the meeting as excellent. The session entitled, "My Worst Nightmare Case" appeared to have been very popular. Martin Elliott's invited lecture was also considered a highlight of the meeting. My favorite answer to the question, "What have you learned at this activity?" was from someone who responded, "Never Give Up!" Further review of the format of the Annual Meeting has led to a decision by the Executive Council to start the 2018 meeting earlier on Sunday. We plan to start the 2018 meeting at 1:00 p.m. instead of 3:00 p.m. This will be the first step in possibly progressing to a full two-day meeting.
I want to draw your attention to several upcoming deadlines and dates for your calendars.
- The deadline for abstract submission for the 2018 CHSS Annual Meeting is Tuesday, May 29, 2018. The Program Committee will have a face-to-face meeting in Chicago at the end of June to review the abstracts and structure the program.
- The upcoming CHSS Data Center Work Weekend in Toronto is scheduled for April 13-15, 2018. I particularly encourage our new members to attend the Work Weekend if at all feasible. The Fall 2018 Work Weekend is scheduled for November 16-17, 2018.
- The Executive Council of the CHSS will meet in San Diego, California on Sunday evening, April 29, 2018.
- For those of you considering proposing new members to the CHSS the deadline for application memberships is June 30, 2018. Instructions for applying for membership can be found on the CHSS website.
- The CHSS Annual Meeting will be held October 21-22, 2018. We will again be at the Loews Chicago O'Hare Hotel. Of note, the NPC-QIC will be hosting their meeting also at the Loews Hotel October 19-20, 2018.
Finally I want to let all of our members know that we have a new feature on our CHSS web page - Job Search. If anyone is looking to hire another partner we will be happy to post the information on this new site.
It is my great privilege to serve as your President of the Congenital Heart Surgeons' Society. Please feel free to contact me at any time with any questions or suggestions you have to improve our Society and its services to the membership.
Carl L. Backer, MD